Friday, July 11, 2008

Friday Five--Summer Camp

1. Did you go to sleep away camp, or day camp, as a child? Wish you could? Or sometimes wish you hadn't?
I went to VBS every summer as a kid, but that was before it was referred to as "day camp." The summer before my freshman year in high school a week at Flathead Lutheran Bible Camp was required for confirmation. I'd never been and wasn't too keen to spend a week with strangers, but it was required, so off I went. Mostly it was fine, I have vague memories of the other girls in my cabin. The memory that sticks out, though, is finally getting up the courage to speak during bible study (I was painfully shy) only to be told that I was wrong and basically stupid. Didn't speak the rest of the week, never went back.

2. How about camping out? Dream vacation, nightmare, or somewhere in between?
Somewhere in between. I loved camping with my dad and brother as a kid. We hiked in and spent the night, fished for supper. I was totally spoiled, though, as my dad did all the prep work and carried most of my stuff in his pack. As an adult I also got spoiled because the trails person took care of all the prep work at the camp I worked at. At any rate, now I have very specific requirements for what I think I need to take camping, and I don't have any of it, so I haven't been camping in a long time. And car camping always seems like cheating...

3. Have you ever worked as a camp counselor, or been to a camp for your denomination for either work or pleasure?
I worked 2 summers at Christikon, one as a counselor, one as the assistant cook.

4. Most dramatic memory of camp, or camping out?
Sleeping under the stars is always cool. During staff backpack when I was a counselor we woke up on the 4th of July to several inches of snow. There's not much worse than climbing out of a warm sleeping bag to go trudge through the snow. Winter camping would not be for me!

5. What is your favorite camp song or songs? Bonus points if you link to a recording or video.
I don't have a favorite camp song, but I do have a favorite camp song word: Flubbahubba. The counselors who have done VBS the last couple of years have several songs which include that word and I think it's really funny. But then, I don't get out much!

2 comments:

k-bomb said...

Don't you think that the most dramatic camp memory would be meeting Dr. A? Seriously.

kjs said...

so you have had a little trauma with the whole camp thing... what do you say now a few days into being a camp Pr? adopting some more neices and water fun? learning other fun words at campfire time like whoop whoop? being with people who don't care if you don't say a word, and love you anyway? is it a better thing now, this camping business? this makes more than the friday five, but sometimes there are more questions than answers.

just my two cents.