Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Mmmm....Chocolate

It's Fat Tuesday, the day before Lent begins, a time to rid one's house of all of those things that might temp us away from our Lenten fast. Or, for me, it's a day to eat chocolate until I throw up. OK, I've never actually thrown up on a Fat Tuesday, but I do like the excuse to eat lots of chocolate. In fact, I had it for breakfast. I had some for a snack. And I'm about to have some with (OK for) dinner. Yum! Every year for almost 15 years, now, I've given up chocolate for Lent. It turns out it's the one Lenten discipline I can actually stick with. Spiritual practices are, apparently for me, like New Year's resolutions. I always have good intentions, but my follow-through pretty much stinks. I always think this will be the year that my prayer life will improve, or that I'll actually read the daily devotionals I have for the season. I do pretty well for about a week, and then it's back to business as usual. And yes, I realize that giving up chocolate isn't exactly much of a fast, but it seems to be the one Lent-ish sort of thing that I can actually accomplish. Probably this says more about me than I actually want to contemplate. In the meantime, I need to write a sermon for tomorrow. Something about Ash Wednesday and Lenten practices of prayer, fasting and alms-giving. Probably I should be preaching this sermon more to myself than to anyone else...

2 comments:

k-bomb said...

I preached on Ash Wednesday when I was on internship and the title of my sermon was: don't give up chocolate! I'll have to say that it was one sermon that some people just didn't understand. My point was to encourage people to change something in their lives for Lent rather than give something up...for instance, I encouraged people to only purchase fairly traded chocolate during lent rather than give it up. It's the way in which we live our lives that is the sacrifice worth making. They didn't get it. Ok, I should say, not all of them got it. Maybe I shouldn't have used chocolate as the example. It made sense to me.

k-bomb said...

PS- I HATE titling my sermons