Friday, December 28, 2007

Odds and Ends

A couple of thoughts from the last couple of days, in no order, and with no particular segues:

When I was little I always thought I would grow up, get married, and have lots of kids. The number varied, but I think the most was around 10. Yikes. With the whole family being here for Christmas, we have had 10 people using the downstairs bathroom and I've realized that I am so not cut out for the big family life. Yesterday, counting the baby my mom watches, there were 5 kids ranging in age from 7 months to 10 years plus 6 adults. It was loud and chaotic. Fun, yes, but man, that's a lot of people to clean up after. (on a side note, my mom has done daycare for over 15 years, now, so there have been many days when I have watched between 7 and 10 kiddos for her. So this realization about the large family and my lack of gifts isn't a new one, but has been reinforced)

The slumber party continues, but this time with the 7 year old niece. She's a LOT more wiggly than her sister, and she kept rolling over on me all night. Fun, but a little crazy at the same time. We'll see how tonight goes since she's back again. The bunny is Snowball, who stayed on her side of the bed...


And finally: The 7 month old previously mentioned is one of the joys in my days, in addition to my nieces. She has adopted me as a surrogate mom on the days that she stays with us, and we have a lovely time together. She loves to sit on my lap in the mornings when I check my e-mail. Today I wasn't paying close enough attention when she decided she wanted my coffee cup and she managed to dump a half a cup of coffee on my laptop keyboard. Unsurprisingly, the keyboard no longer works, which means I have to take it in tomorrow to see if it can be salvaged. The good news is that the coffee was only luke-warm, so baby girl did not burn herself. I have to say that life around here is nothing if not an adventure! If only I could use this as an excuse to get out of finishing my sermon on the terrible text about the slaughter of the innocents.

No comments: