Saturday, May 23, 2009

Weddings

3 weekends, 3 weddings. I'm officiating at last weekend's and next weekend's, but today I was simply a guest. Well, sort of. The short version of the story is that I did the premarital counseling for this couple since the bride's childhood pastor is now in Michigan. I guess he didn't want to commute for the counseling. :-) So I did the premarital and he did the service. But, it was the first wedding in a long time where I had absolutely nothing to do during the service. I was trying to think while driving there when the last wedding was that I wasn't involved in, and couldn't. I've been the pastor, the intern, a musician, a bridesmaid or maid of honor, the bride's personal assistant. Anyhoo, it was a lovely service and an absolutely gorgeous day. But, I think I'm now ruined for weddings, too. I have trouble sitting through worship that I'm not leading because I pick it apart, and I did the same thing with the wedding today. Not necessarily negative stuff, my brain just swirls around and around as I compare what we do at our church, or I do as a worship leader, how I like some things that are different, how I would never do some things a certain way, etc. Sometimes I wish my brain would shut up!
Here are 2 other random tidbits for this entry: yesterday while driving home I hiccoughed while sneezing and almost drove off the road. Weird. Last Sunday when I drove to church there was a dead skunk in the middle of the road. Very smelly. Then, on Tuesday when I drove home after being gone for 2 days I noticed that someone had spray painted the skunks white stripes green. On the one hand I find it amusing. On the other, I think someone has way too much time on his or her hands!

No comments: