Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Last Couple of Days

The last couple of days have been busy. Monday I went to Helena with a group from the church (the church I've been called to, not the one I've been supplying at or my home congregation--so confusing!). Anyway, the church we visited in Helena is going through a similar process that our congregation is starting to go through, moving from a pastor sized congregation to a program size. It was a good day, with lots of good questions asked and lots of good information given. We took 12 people in 2 vans, so I definitely had a chance to get to know a couple of people better. The day was long, but everyone who went had good things to say and there was some excitement about moving forward with some of the changes. The part I find somewhat strange? interesting? whatever, is that my being called is part of this process, since they haven't has an associate pastor in many years. I understand it, but it's kind of odd to be one of the "steps." Instead of driving back and forth I stayed over Sunday and Monday nights, and then yesterday I went...

Apartment hunting! It was actually relatively painless. I was a little worried because the semester at the university isn't over, yet, so rentals are few and far between, but I looked in the paper and found a couple of possibilities that looked promising. The first wasn't bad. It was definitely a giant step up from where I lived in college, but it was still this side of sketchy. The price was right, but it just didn't feel quite right. The second place, though. Sigh, I think I'm in love. Not to be melodramatic, but I think I lucked out. I looked at 2 apartments that were open, w/ 2 different floor plans. Both were nice, and I liked 2 things about the 2nd one better, but I liked the 1st one the best. So, I put in the application yesterday and an hour and a half later I had an apartment! Hooray! It's a little out of the way, not so convenient to stores and such, but it's relatively close to the church, has 2 bedrooms, 1 bathroom, a ginormous storage area, and a lovely view. And the price isn't bad, either. And so looking forward...

At the next couple of days/weeks: I'm moving next week on Wednesday and starting the new job on Thursday. Yes, cutting it a bit close, I know, but the days between now and then are pretty much crazy, plus I do my last Sunday of supply, so I'll need to write a sermon and try not to cry while preaching, then I have a continuing ed event all day Monday (it seemed like a good idea at the time when I signed up for it!). Good stuff, lots of details, much happening. Now if the synod would just finally mail my letter of call...

2 comments:

ktjhawk said...

geez...nothing like piling everything on top of each other! I am so excited to see you and so happy for you!!! I am looking forward to actually seeing these places I've been hearing and reading about.

PS - so, the Helena thing sounds like it was a good thing. Glad to hear it turned out well!

k-bomb said...

I hope I get to see your new place while I'm in Montana!! How fun:)