Friday, May 2, 2008

Moving

I have officially moved! The big day was Wednesday, and it went really well. My entire family came to help, even the 2 nieces who should have been in school got to come along. So, with 10 people unloading the horse trailer it didn't take too long. Now my apartment is full of boxes, and I can't find anything. Also, my apartment is on the 2nd floor as well as a hill, so there are stairs to get up to the stairs going to my apartment. I woke up yesterday and my calves were killing me! Who needs a step aerobics class when you can move into a second floor apartment?

Yesterday was my first day of "work." I put that in quotes because while I spent the day at the church, I didn't exactly do much: Got here about 15 minutes later than I anticipated because I couldn't find half of the stuff I was looking for as I got dressed and ready, met with the church secretary about paperwork stuff, got a tour of my partially cleaned-out office from a member of the church who has been working on cleaning off the bookshelves (it's a decent sized office, but man is there a lot of stuff already in here!), met with the lead pastor, worship leader and sound person about acoustics in the sanctuary, wandered back to my office to discover that KAG had sent me flowers!, met with the lead pastor and worship leader about Sunday's worship where I will be presiding, had lunch with the lead pastor, came back to the church and met the quilting group (a group of women who have the most organized quilting room/operation I have EVER seen), chatted for awhile with the lead pastor before he left to go work on his sermon, and finally, sat in my office for awhile wondering what I was supposed to do now that I was the only one in the building? All in all, a pretty good first day. :-)

Last night I tackled more boxes. I'm actually making a lot of progress, but it's at that point where things just look worse and probably will continue to look worse until I finally start getting things organized. This morning I brought boxes to work (Oh, it's Friday, so it's the lead pastor's day off, as well as the secretary's. They're looking to hire someone else part-time, but for now it's just me). I hauled 6 boxes of books to the office, and I know there are more boxes still lurking at the apartment. I realize that many people have many more books than this (I won't even count the number of boxes of books I'm leaving home), but this is just from seminary. Many of them have been in storage for the past 3 years, so it's fun to see what I've forgotten I even had, but dang, if I have this many now, how bad is it going to be the next time I move?

No comments: