Saturday, May 10, 2008

Interesting

My first week has gone well. There are definitely times when I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing, and times when I feel like in WAY over my head. I had one such moment on Thursday when someone asked me the question, "Pastor, what does the bible say about smoking pot?" At first I thought he was kidding, but he wasn't, and we then had a conversation about medical marijuana. The thing is, he didn't want anything abstract. I think he would have been really happy if I could have opened up my bible and pointed to a passage that said, "and then God said to so-and-so to go forth and smoke pot." Or maybe, "God said not to smoke pot, you worthless sinner!" I handled the conversation with as much grace as I could, but I had absolutely no idea what to say, so of course I've been rehashing it in my head. I just hope I handled it OK.

Tomorrow I preach my first sermon in my new call. I'm really nervous. So nervous that I'm at that point where I don't want to look at my sermon (which I wrote yesterday, but really struggled with) in case it turns out that it's really bad, or perhaps it simply doesn't make sense. I know I'll have to look at it soon, but there are so many ways to procrastinate about it: I went shopping with my mom, sister, and niece since they were in town, I'm doing laundry, I'm blogging. OK, here I go. No, really, I'm going to try really hard to avoid more procrastination and go finish!

No comments: