Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Oh, Dear

Well, I haven't even been here a full two weeks, yet, but I've managed to stick my foot in my mouth. An off-hand comment at a board meeting on Monday has escalated almost to the point of the ridiculous. I'm annoyed with myself, certainly, for allowing myself to feel pushed and overwhelmed, and for not censoring what then came flying out of my mouth. On the plus side, it was simply a rather tact-less phrase, I didn't swear or call anyone names, or anything. I simply expressed an opinion that then got blown way out of proportion. I've also come into my first contact with passive-aggressive projection by a parishioner who wants me to think one way and is now very angry with me for having my own opinion. A situation like this was bound to happen sooner or later, so I guess this way I got the first one out of the way. Having this happen the week of my ordination is only adding to the stress level, but I'm trying to handle the situation with as much grace as possible. I'm also grateful for the support the lead pastor and others have given me. Having said all of this, here's the thing that keeps coming back to me: This can't be the stupidest thing I'll ever say (isn't that a comforting thought), and if every opinion I express is met with this kind of crazed fall-out this could be a really interesting (and long) first call.

No comments: