Monday, March 30, 2009

Day Off

I'm having my first day off in 3 weeks! Yay. It's fabulous. I even slept in this morning, which felt great. Now I'm just hanging out, doing laundry, working up the energy to go grocery shopping.
So, life has been busy, but OK for the most part. Yesterday was oldest niece's 12th birthday. She's almost a teenager. How did this happen? It's so not about me, but it makes me feel a little old to know this. Oh well. I talked to her yesterday and she had a good weekend with Mom, so that makes me happy. She and her sisters were playing with the puppy when I called, which is always fun to listen to because that puppy makes them all laugh like mad-women. Too cute.
On Friday I had a meeting with the personnel board. They're calling them "one-on-ones" and they're meant to be check-ins with the staff. Not quite mutual ministry committee, but somewhat similar. It was actually a one-on-two as there were 2 members of the board there. It went fine, but I had anxiety dreams the night before and didn't sleep well. I felt silly.
So, that no day off thing. There are a variety of reasons: Lent, funerals, continuing ed, etc. In seminary we talked a lot about boundaries, days off, self-care, all of that good stuff. It made sense. I had good intentions. Reality seems a bit different. I can't blame it all on outside circumstances, I need to be better about creating good boundaries. Anyway, it was one more reason I felt kind of stupid at the meeting on Friday. Practically I understand all of those previous seminary conversations, but it turns out I suck with the follow-through.
On a different note, we built a labyrinth in the sanctuary yesterday. SP took pictures, so I'll try and post one if I can get some copies. It was fun, and it looks really cool. Our Lenten theme has been stones, and we've been using the labyrinth as the image for journey or pilgrimage, so on Wednesday this week we will have walking the labyrinth as part of the service. Should be good.

No comments: