Monday, April 27, 2009

Labyrinth Part 2

Yesterday after church we took the 9th grade Confirmation class on a field trip to a labyrinth about 30 miles south of town. The setting was lovely, and we didn't get snowed or rained on (both of which were possibilities), so that was a plus. The students seemed to enjoy the outing, and I don't think I've ever seen them that quiet for that long. It took over a half an hour to walk the entire labyrinth and they were silent the whole time. All in all it was a good trip, I think, except for this: The kids were well behaved, but I felt totally immature the whole time. I understand the concept of a labyrinth, and I enjoyed being out and walking in a beautiful setting, but I had a hard time feeling anything meaningful during my walk. It didn't help that I had the fish slapping song from Spamelot stuck in my head. Plus, every time I would pass someone going the other way on the path, I really wanted to do high-fives, and I kept thinking of sarcastic things to comment upon. All of this was in my own head, of course, but I felt bad for not being more into the experience. Oh well. Maybe next time. Kudos to the kids, though!

No comments: