Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Sigh

I got to church at 9:00 this morning. I realize that this is late compared to some jobs, but it's not like I strolled in at noon and left for the day at 2:00 or some such craziness. Anyhoo, I walk in the front door and immediately one of our old guys says to me, "some of us have already put in a full day's work." (We have men's breakfast at 6:30 on Wednesday mornings.) At first I was speechless, I felt like I stared at him for a full 5 minutes with my mouth hanging open. It was probably only 2 or 3 seconds, it just felt longer, until I said, "some of us were here until 8:00 last night." I know there are better ways to respond to statements like that, but that's what popped out. Sigh. Someday I'll learn the more tactful response. It would be more hopeful to think that someday those comments will stop coming, but I'm not confident that's going to happen.

2 comments:

ktjhawk said...

seriously? when is 2-1/2 hours considered a "full day" and when is breakfast "work"? (unless you cook or serve it). I probably would have said the same thing, so I'm not a good reference point.

k-bomb said...

That was a PERFECT comeback! One of the old guys at work used to call me "little girl" and until I started calling him "old man". A little passive aggressive behavior never hurt anyone...right?