Friday, January 18, 2008

Holidays Around the Year


When my oldest niece (who is now 10) was 4, and I was living in Texas, she and I were both bummed because we didn't get to dye Easter eggs together. Mom and I talked about it and decided it would be fun to recreate some of the holidays I had missed while I was home at Christmas. That year Mom, the oldest niece, a 3 year old my mom babysat, and I spent one afternoon celebrating several holidays. Fast forward 7 years and we're still doing it, except now there are 6 kids who participate: 3 of my nieces, and the 3 kids from the other family my mom does daycare for. Today was the annual holiday extravaganza. We dyed, I hid and the kids found, Easter eggs, lit smoke bombs and sparklers left over from the 4th of July, had a St. Patrick's Day treasure hunt and found the pot of gold hidden by the leprechaun, had Thanksgiving for lunch, celebrated everyone's birthday, went trick-or-treating, and made snowflakes. OK, the snowflakes aren't technically a holiday, but the kids love making a "blizzard" in the dining room:


It gets a little crazier every year, and Mom and I are mostly exhausted when it's over, but the kids love it. We'll more than likely be doing it for another 7 years and beyond.

1 comment:

k-bomb said...

That is fantastic! You're so full of good ideas:)