Friday, January 9, 2009

Friday Five--Pancakes

Last week Sally gave us a beautiful, spiritually reflective Friday Five, so it's time for something light and fluffy (literally). It's inspired by the fact that as I write this my dear spouse TechnoGuy, with the assistance of daughter Ladybug, is making a batch of chocolate chip pancakes with two Christmas presents. One is the Knott's Berry Farm mix which came along with jam, boysenberry syrup, and biscuit mix from my aunt (we ended up with two sets, since my parents passed theirs on to avoid sweet and carb-y temptation). The other is the large size Black and Decker electric skillet he was thrilled that I got him online -- our trusty wedding present normal size one still works at going on 20 years, but the Teflon is getting worn, and he wanted more cooking space. So pull up a chair to the kitchen table and tell us all about your pancake preferences.

1. Scratch or mix? Buttermilk or plain?
I don't make them often, but when I do I make them from scratch. Doesn't make sense to buy a mix that I rarely use. I'm allergic to white flour, so I always make whole wheat.

2. Pure and simple, or with additions cooked in?
Pure and simple, but I think that's mostly laziness. Or lack of additional agreements. I like chocolate chips or blueberries, I just rarely put them in.

3. For breakfast or for dinner?
Either. But I don't like anything that heavy first thing in the morning, so I guess it would be more of a brunch preference.

4. Preferred syrup or other topping? How about the best side dish?
My family likes peanut butter and maple syrup. It's been passed down from my grandfather, and more than one spouse marrying into the family has been completely grossed out by it. It's so yummy, though! You need lots of milk to go along with it, though. I like either bacon or link sausage as a side dish (may as well clog all of the arteries while we're at it!)

5. Favorite pancake restaurant?
I don't believe I have a favorite. I think the only one I've been to is IHOP. Clearly I need to branch out in my pancake eating...


1 comment:

Dr. Laura Marie Grimes said...

You're the third person to mention peanut butter, which I never thought of with pancakes--someone else suggested with honey, which sounds really good.