Friday, January 23, 2009

Friday Five--Winter Blahs

Here in snow country we are settled in to what is a very long stretch of potentially boring days. The holidays are over. It is a very long time till we will get outside on a regular basis. The snow that seemed so beautiful at first is now dirty and the snow banks are piling up. Our vehicles are all the same shade of brownish grey, but if we go to the car wash our doors will freeze shut. People get grumpy. Of course, not everyone lives in a cold climate, but even in warmer places the days till springtime can get long. Help! Please give us five suggestions for combating cabin fever and staying cheerful in our monochromatic world?

Right now I'm less in snow country and more in gross-muddy-slushy-ice-frigid winds country, but here are 5 things that are moderately successful for me in combating the winter blahs:

1. Sunshine! It doesn't happen often, but I try and soak it up as often as it makes a brief appearance (which was aprox. 15 minutes yesterday). I know people have the sun lamps, but I've never tried one. I just wait and hope for the real thing. I also like that the light lasts a little longer each day and try to relish each extra couple of minutes.

2. Crocheting. I crochet more in the winter than the summer. I like to have big projects like afghans that keep me warm while I'm working on them.

3. Netflix. I like to watch a movie while I'm crocheting. Sometimes I make good choices, sometimes I wonder what the heck I was thinking, but it's nice to have the background noise.

4. Books, blankies, beverages. Some days I like to snuggle up on the couch with a good book, a snuggly blanket and some coffee or tea or hot chocolate. These are the days when I can relish that I don't have to go outside into the yuck.

5. Flannel or fleece pj's. I don't know if this one counts, but pretty much the first thing I do when I get home (on nights when I don't have to go back out) is put on comfy pj's and warm, fuzzy socks.

1 comment:

Elaine (aka...Purple) said...

I have my favorite flannel jammie...from L.L. Bean.